Immunisation Training Workshop for Healthcare Support Workers
Duration: 2 days
Cost: £299, includes a certificate of attendance and refreshments
This two-day workshop is specifically designed for Healthcare Support Workers who wish to become competent vaccinators and have had no previous immunisation training. It will equip participants with the knowledge and skills required to demonstrate competence, current evidence base regarding vaccinations and immunisation procedures. The course covers Flu, Pneumococcal and Shingles vaccine for adults; the intranasal vaccine to children and administration of B12 injection.
The workshop meets all the requirements for the “National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training of Healthcare Support Workers” recommended by the UK Health Security Agency.
Who is the Course for?
Healthcare Support Workers
Primary Care Support Worker
Those who are new to immunisation wanting to become a competent immuniser.
Those who do not administer vaccines but have been designated a supportive role in immunisation.
Before registering for this workshop participants must ensure they “have a supervisor in practice who is a Registered Health Professional (nurse or doctor) who will have professional responsibility for ensuring the HCSW has met the necessary standards of competency”.
Course participants will also be expected to:
- Attend the two day workshop
- Complete the competency assessment tool
- Administer 30 vaccines under supervision on at least three separate occasions
The aim of the workshop is to ensure:
- Patient safety
- Those who immunise are competent to do so
- HCSWs are aware of the limitations of their role
Course objective is to ensure that all HCSWs engaging in any aspect of immunisation have:
- Understanding of Flu, Shingles and Pneumococcal Immunisation policy
- Understanding of the basic immune response
- Understanding of the cold chain and the importance of its maintenance
- Demonstrate competence in the administration of vaccines
- Outline legal aspects of immunisation including Consent, PGDs and PSDs
- Demonstrate competence in recognition and management of anaphylaxis
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the HCSW and its limitations
- Aims of current vaccine policy
- The immune response / how vaccines work and types of vaccines
- Basic functional anatomy and physiology
- Legal aspects of vaccination including consent: PSD: PGD
- Storage and handling of vaccines
- Correct administration of vaccines
- Communicating with patients
- Recognition and Management of Anaphylaxis and other adverse events
- Strategies for maximising vaccine uptake
- The role and limitations of the HCSW as an immuniser
A Certificate of Attendance will be issued on completion of the course
Up & Coming Training Dates
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.